In the winter, it’s important to plan long trips carefully because you never know when a snow emergency could hit. Make sure you’re listening to the radio or television for the latest weather forecasts and road conditions. If bad weather is forecast, drive only if absolutely necessary.
Emergency Kit for the Car
In case you are stranded, keep an emergency supply kit in your car with the addition of these automobile extras:
- Jumper cables
- Flares or reflective triangle
- Ice scraper
- Car cell phone charger
- Cat litter or sand for better tire traction
Prepare Your Vehicle for Emergencies
Have a mechanic check the following on your vehicle prior to an emergency:
- Antifreeze levels
- Battery and ignition system
- Exhaust system
- Fuel and air filters
- Heater and defroster
- Lights and flashing hazard lights
- Windshield wiper equipment and washer fluid level
Vehicle Safety Tips
- Keep your gas tank full in case of evacuation or power outages. A full tank will also keep the fuel line from freezing
- Install good winter tires and ensure they have adequate tread or any jurisdiction-required chains or studs
- Do not drive through flooded areas. Six inches of water can cause a vehicle to lose control or possibly stall. A foot of water will float many cars.
- Be aware of areas where floodwaters have receded. Roads may have weakened and could collapse under the weight of a car.
- If a power line falls on your car you are at risk of electrical shock, stay inside until a trained person removes the wire.
- If there is an explosion or other factor that makes it difficult to control the vehicle, pull over, stop the car and set the parking brake.
- If the emergency could impact the physical stability of the roadway avoid overpasses, bridges, power lines, signs and other hazards
Don’t leave your business unprepared for the coming snow. Toledo Snow Control can clear any commercial lot and make sure that you’re open for business. We are proud to provide expert commercial snow removal services in Toledo and all surrounding areas; Bowling Green, Perrysburg, Maumee, Sylvania, Oregon, Holland, Temperance, Bedford and Monclova. GET A FREE QUOTE before the snow comes back!